You might notice more cyclists wearing wacky costumes on the road in June. Why? Because it’s PEDALPALOOZA, a month of free bike fun, and if you haven’t checked the festival out before, you might consider looking in to it this year…
Pedalpalooza started in 2002 when a bunch of cyclists started populating the Shift calendar with community-led rides concentrated within just a few weeks. The event has grown from 97 rides to over 300, and this year more makers are involved than ever.
Odell posted her enthusiasm for the festival on her website,
Here are three rides Portland Made members are a part of:
- Bike to World Wide Knit in Public Day with Brooklyn Tweed at 11:30 am on 6/8/19
- As an added something special, this year Brooklyn Tweed is partnering with Portland’s cycling community & Pedalpalooza to host a bike-ride-to-knit-in on June 8th. If you are a fiber artist with a bike, or know folks with bikes who would like to learn how to knit, meet us at NE 7th & Davis at 11:30am for a mellow bike ride down to the park where you’ll meet up with the rest of our crew. There will be plenty of friendly conversation, music, giveaways, and folks on hand to get new knitters started up on a project.
- Sunday Read and Ride with artist Catherine Odell at 11:00 am on 6/16/19
- Gather the kiddos for a picture book reading and a little fun on wheels – bikes! trikes! scooters! skateboards! Local author/Illustrator Catherine Odell will share her debut picture book Pepper & Frannie, and will host a parking lot session for everyone to get comfortable on their wheels, play some games, or maybe try something new! Then the ride will leave the school lot and ride down the block to circle the paved paths through Woodlawn Park (Wheels in the Woods!). We plan to end by 1pm, but you’re welcome to peel off at any time as attention, hunger, and patience allow. Some boards will be available if you don’t have one of your own, and find yourself feeling curious. Please bring a helmet (and pads if needed).
- Portland Maker Ride with Toast and Blendily at 12:00 pm on 6/22/19
- Ready to meet cool people making cool things in your community? Want to see what the entrepreneurial spirits of Portland are up to and get inspired? Join us on June 22nd for the Portland Maker Ride! We’ll start the ride with laser engraved tech gear at Toast, Inc in Montavilla, cruise over to Blendily on Alberta for some all-natural hand made skin care, then to Queen Bee Creations for hand stitched bags and accessories, and finally down to the North St. Bags HQ, where we’ll be live sewing custom pouches (optional $20 purchase), have drinks and snacks, and raffle off awesome prizes from all the participating shops.:00
It’s free and easy to post rides, and anyone can do it, so if you have idea for a ride, consider posting one yourself! It’s a great way to advertise your company and what you care about in an authentic way.
Have questions about how you can get involved in Pedalpalooza? Ask Director Meghan Sinnott, long-time supporter of bike fun in Portland, at the next Maker Meetup.
Photography: Eric Iverson // Art: Cat Odell